New pilot programs help seniors stay connected, access healthy foods, and improve health and wellness.
O’Fallon, IL – July 2020 – AgeSmart Community Resources has developed new pilot programs allowing older adults to stay connected, interact with others, learn new things and improve their health and wellness. These programs, rolling out this summer, are being piloted in St. Clair and Madison Counties.
“AgeSmart is proud to bring these pioneering programs to older adults we serve in our communities. These programs will help our seniors live more independently, keep their minds sharp, help them connect with their peers in new ways and provide healthier food choices in addition to home delivered meals. AgeSmart’s mission is to help our seniors age well their way,” said Joy Paeth, CEO of AgeSmart.
New pilot programs include:
- Uber rides for seniors. Seniors living in the Mascoutah area can contact their Senior Center to coordinate uber rides to and from medical appointments. Call 618-566-8758 to schedule.
- East Community Health provides community health services in the home for older adults living in the Washington Park area. This partnership between AgeSmart, Visiting Nurses of SW Illinois, SIHF, community churches, and Healthier Together provides vital healthcare services to those who are homebound.
- The AgeSmart Learning Channel offers older adults the ability to access online classes featuring how-to tech classes. Retired teachers will provide instruction for the interactive lessons.
- Adaptive Equipment Tutorials – AgeSmart is partnering with Adaptive Equipment Corner to provide step by step video instruction on how to use medical equipment to benefit seniors and their caregivers.
- Geriatric counseling is now available through AgeSmart’s partnership with Chestnut Health System. 24 hour professional clinical assistance is available for seniors and their caregivers.
- T-Care for caregivers. This assessment tool for caregivers provides a care plan on managing stress and anxiety levels.
- Care packages of fresh produce will be distributed to 800 individuals who already are receiving home delivered meals.
To learn more about these programs, contact AgeSmart at 618-222-2561 or log onto AgeSmart.org.
AgeSmart Community Resources is the only Area Agency on Aging serving a 7 county region in Southwest Illinois that promotes healthy aging by providing resources and information needed to age well your way. Our caring, experienced, well-trained staff positively impacts the lives of our clients, caregivers and family members by sharing vital information to ease the stress and anxiety of navigating the process of aging.