Thank you for your interest.
Please EMAIL cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Current Positions Available:
Position Title: Options Counselor- Veterans Directed
Full-time, hourly position.
Providing options for Veterans to allow them to live independently in their homes and communities. Assist Veterans to self-direct their care and manage their resources while participating in the Veterans Directed Home and Community Based Services (VDHCBS) Program.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Working with the Veteran to gain access to needed services.
- Conducting a comprehensive needs assessment and reassessment for each Veteran assigned.
- Assist the Veteran in the development of a service plan in conjunction with the Veteran/Authorized Representative.
- Educate and support the Veteran/Authorized Representative in his or her role as an employer.
- Work with the Veteran to develop an emergency backup plan.
- Monitor the services included in the Veterans budget in conjunction with the Veteran.
- Work with the Veteran to assess the adequacy of the care being provided.
- Assess the ability of the Veteran to manage services using the St. Louis University Mental Status Exam (SLUMS)
- Report suspected cases of abuse, neglect, exploitation to the appropriate agencies.
- Maintain Veterans files, both paper and electronic.
- Participate in VDHCBS meetings.
- Assist in general AgeSmart educational and outreach activities.
ADDITIONAL SKILLS REQUIRED:
Considerable knowledge of the aging, health and long-term care services network.
- Skill in conducting client interviews and needs assessments.
- Basic knowledge of health insurance programs such as Medicare and Medicaid.
- Sufficient computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, Internet Browser) and the ability to quickly learn related software applications.
- Ability to effectively communicate respect and dignity toward client calls.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and through written correspondence.
- Ability to maintain accurate Client case notes.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of records and information.
- Motivated and willing to be trained on new programs.
- Able to work independently. Possess a valid Driver’s License, good driving records and insurance.
1.Preferred: Bachelor’s degree in Gerontology, Social Work or related field with at least three years experience in the field of aging.
2.High School Diploma with five years of relative job experience.